GAC is the acronym of Grupo de Arquitectura de Computadores (Computer Architecture Group), a research group of the Department of Electronics and Systems (DES) at the University of A Coruña (UDC), Spain. The members of GAC develop their teaching and research activities on the computer architecture, the high performance computing, the scientific visualization and the mobile robotics, and on the geographic information systems.
The specific research lines having a good potential for technology transfer at the GAC are:
- High performance computing (HPC):
- Ultra-fast Java communications:
- Low latency communication middleware for high performance networks
- Improvement of response time on Java distributed and parallel applications
- Applications on several sectors such as financial/trading, energy, defense/space.
- Computer graphics and scientific visualization.
- Hybrid terrain visualization: applications on rural planning, forest survey…
- Supercomputing/simulation based on GPUs: applications on mobile devices, power consumption reduction for mobile applications, financial calculations…
- Cloud computing
- Integration of computational resources in hybrid public/private clouds.
- Data intensive cloud computing applications.
- Geographic information systems (GIS):
- Development of web-GIS systems using open source software and geospatial standards.
- Development of applications for mobile devices.
- Implementation of algorithms for problems with high computational requirements.
- Application of GIS to different areas: e-government, spatial planning, rural development, meteorology...
Principal Researcher: Ramón Doallo Biempica